Sunday, February 2, 2014

Media Fast

So I finished the media fast on friday. I decided to do the 3 days that we ended up having off from school because of the snow. I think this might have made it a bit easier in some aspects and a lot harder in others. Firstly being: all I wanted to do was lay in bed and watch movies on the snow days. As an alternative I read a lot during this period. It also forced me to do other things like clean my room (which it was in desperate need of), do laundry, start on homework early and even get some writing accomplished. I did go out to the beach bars Thursday night which was an interesting experience. I was with a group of friends and I couldn't help but notice that they spent an absurd amount of time on their phones. At the bar it was a welcome relief to hear some music! It was definitely really hard trying to stay off my phone. It is like an impulse to check it all the time, even when nothing has happened on it. Another thing i found very difficult was driving in a silent car. Luckily I only drove one day of my fast. It honestly made me feel a bit insane. I found it became harder and harder to shut my brain off and it was almost exhausting to never have the relief of a media distraction. Silence did present a lot of insight and creativity in my writing and also just about my life. I was able to give my full attention to challenges I was presented with, whether I liked it or not. I was definitely glad for it to be over though. I like movies/tv too much, I like music too much, and I was happy to get it all back.

No comments:

Post a Comment